This is Just the Beginning
We wanted to thank everybody who helped make the 2017 Rally for the Planet such an amazing success. However, please remember that this is just the beginning. Here are some things you can do to help keep the pressure on our lawmakers to take more serious action on climate change.
1) Contact your legislators and thank them for their support or encourage them to support greater legislative action on climate change
2) Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper in support of climate change related legislation, such as putting a price on carbon.
3) Get involved with your town’s local energy committee. Visit http://www.vecan.net/
4) Volunteer with VPIRG, 350VT, EIV or other environmental organizations.
5) Get educated about the politics, science, and history of climate change. Enroll in our Youth Activism 101 online course, by signing up for a free account at https://www.schoology.com or use an existing schoology account. Click ‘Courses’ in the top menu, then click ‘Join,’ enter the Access Code – 76B48-NM2T6 then click ‘Join’ again. Click on the folder entitled ‘Educate Yourself on Climate Change’
6) Spread the word in any way you can via social media!
7) Create a Youth Lobby chapter at your school or join an existing environmental club, sustainability club, or green team.
Thank You To Our Organizers
We also wanted to give a HUGE THANK YOU to everybody who helped organize the event, especially the 65 student and adult volunteers who put this event together – Special Thanks to the students and adult allies in our 2017 Planning Coalition from Winooski High School, CVU High School, Montpelier High School, Northfield High School, Essex Middle School, Mount Abraham High School, Stowe Middle School, Mount Mansfield High School, Putney School, Leland and Grey, People’s Academy, Harwood Union High School, Champlain College, Bennington College, Green Mountain College, VPIRG, 350VT, VEEP, Vermont Conservation Voters, Sierra Club, UVM 4-H Extension, Vermont Student Power Network, Energy Independent Vermont, and the numerous other schools and organizations we might be forgetting.
Extra Special Thanks to All Of Our Emcees, Speakers and Performers
Camille King (HUHS)
McKenna Montminy (People’s)
Sarah Clauss (CVU)
Graham Swaney (MMU)
Yasmeen Najeebi (Green Mountain College)
Sarah Fadem (Bennington College/OurClimate.us)
Eleanor Zimmerman (Stowe Middle)
Graham Swaney (Mount Mansfield Union High)
Logan Wedge (Harwood Union High) Hip-Hop Performance
Sarah Clauss (Champlain Valley Union High) Slam Poem
Levi Gannon (Harwood Union High) Hip-Hop Performance
Kathryn Pilliod (Harwood Union High) Slam Poem
Peter Welch (VT Congressman)
Bill McKibben (World Renowned Climate Activist and Writer)
Katie Thomas (Energy Policy Advisor to Senator Bernie Sanders)
Haley Pero (Outreach Specialist for Senator Sanders)
Elise Greaves (Organizer with Rights and Democracy VT)
Kesha Ram (Former VT State Representative)
Dave Zuckerman (VT Lieutenant Governor)
Check out our Youtube Playlist to see our speakers/performers in action.